About Me

My photo
Beautiful west coast of British Columbia, Canada
I am me, just looking for a place to talk.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Dentist

Today I took Brooklynn to the dentist, she needed to have a cavity filled. Normally I would go to the pediatric dentist but being that we don't have dental coverage I chose to try an acquaintance of my Dad's who is a dentist and save a little bit of money. What an absolute disaster. I spent most of the afternoon there and left with nothing being fixed in Brooklynn's mouth. They don't have the TV's in the ceilings to distract the kids from what's going on and they don't have the laughing gas either. The dentist had told me to give Brooklynn some gravol and Tylenol before we came which I did but it did not make a difference. B was great up till the part when the needle went in, then she started crying and it went downhill from there until she was freaking out. I was rather frustrated with the dentist because she was saying to me that B was making a decision to not cooperate and that if I wanted to take her to the bathroom to discipline her that would be fine, I'm like seriously? She's freaking out because she's scared not because she's being disobedient! She made several comments along that line and I was rather unimpressed with her thoughts on the the situation. When I was going to leave I jokingly said to her that when I came I promised not to act like that and she said if you did I would spank you! She was joking, but I didn't think it was very funny because this is how she thought I should deal with Brooklynn in the matter. I will not be bringing either of my kids there again and let me just say, it is worth the money to go to the pediatric dentist!

7 comments:

Danielle said...

I had a similar experience with my son, in terms of reaction, but the dentist was great about it. They did refer Connor to a pediatric dentist, we just haven't gotten around to going yet.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure she meant well...she is a nice lady.

Adventures of the Homemaking Mommy said...

#2, you know who I went to? How's that?

Linda said...

What a tiring experience. It's hard enough on a mom to have a child with a physical need that the mom can't meet on her own. But to try to get help from a "professional" and not get it is sad.

Adventures of the Homemaking Mommy said...

Yes it was exhausting Linda.....

Anonymous said...

I don't spank my kids and I would have been discusted in someone suggesting I did or should, B was scared....not a bad girl! No offense to a parent who does though...I was never spanked as a child and I choose not too, but nothing against someone who does. I would just not appreciate someone telling me to repramand my kid, don't tell ME how to parent my kid!

Adventures of the Homemaking Mommy said...

Well that's why I was so upset, I thought "who are you to tell me what to do with my child?" She doesn't know my child, B was scared, that's what was wrong not that she was being bad.....anyways, we won't go back there again for the kids and stay with the the pediatric dentist.